When it comes to protecting your Northern Colorado home or business from water damage, proper waterproofing is essential. Waterproofing a basement in your home or business is one of the most effective ways to reduce the risk of a flood. However, many people make common mistakes that can lead to costly repairs and potential health hazards.
Recognizing common misunderstandings about different products, processes, and procedures is the first step in protecting your building. The second step is hiring the professionals at Aqua Restoration to provide waterproofing service that is designed to keep your basement dry. Here are some common mistakes we’ve seen when it comes to waterproofing:
- Incorrect Product Usage – Different products are designed for different surfaces, so it’s important to choose the right one for your specific needs.
- Using Paint as Waterproofing – Waterproofing paint does exist, and it does help to prevent water seepage through the foundation. However, it does not fix cracks and structural problems and will not prevent major leaks in damaged areas.
- Improper Drainage – While waterproofing is effective, reducing the amount of water near your foundation or basement is just as important. Take the time to ensure the drainage slopes away from the home and roof runoff is directed well away from your home.
- Waterproofing Too Soon – It is critical to make sure that a basement is completely dry before applying waterproofing solutions. Often homeowners apply good quality waterproofing on areas that are still wet, which prevents the waterproofing from bonding with the surface.
- Not Preparing the Surface – It is also important to prep the surface correctly. This means removing any flaking, peeling, chipping, or other loose material before applying the waterproofing.
- Accidentally Penetrating Waterproofing or Membrane Barrier – Making holes in the waterproofing layer allows water to easily enter with the next rain, runoff, or flood.
To avoid common waterproofing mistakes, proper surface preparation is essential. This involves thoroughly cleaning and drying the surfaces, and repairing any cracks or holes. Choosing the right waterproofing product is also crucial, so consider factors like the type of surface, the level of protection needed, and the climate. Addressing underlying issues, such as structural or drainage problems, is also important. Finally, regular maintenance and inspection can catch potential issues before they become major problems.
Proper waterproofing can provide numerous benefits, including prevention of water damage, protection of property value, avoidance of health hazards, and cost savings. By taking the time to properly waterproof your home or business, you can avoid costly repairs and potential health risks, while also protecting your property and saving money in the long run. Aqua Restoration offers professional waterproofing for your basement or crawlspace in Fort Collins or Loveland, CO. For more information, call us today at 970-402-1036.